Otago Regional Rescue Helicopter
The Otago Regional Rescue Helicopter serves the whole Otago and Southland areas with its specialised patient retrieval service. This is a fully dedicated helicopter.
- Fully crewed dedicated rescue helicopter base
- Three fully equipped, BK-117 twin engined, winch capable medical helicopters
- 24hr/7day service with an activation time of 5-6 mins (day) 15-20mins (night)
- Intensive Care Paramedics for immediate response.
- Full intensive care retrieval team on request
- Two stretcher capability
The operational area for the Otago Regional Rescue Helicopter covers the Southern Region, (south of the Waitaki River including Stewart Island, west through to the Haast Pass). This region incorporates approximately 28% of New Zealand’s land mass and approximately 8% of the population